Our client is exclusively focused on DevOps Automation in Amazon Web Services (AWS): they help their customers continuously deploy software with confidence. They are one of the top AWS partners in the US and have been doing AWS-based Continuous Integration and Continuous Delivery since 2009.
Their team includes industry-renowned speakers and writers on DevOps, Continuous Integration, and Continuous Delivery. There are huge benefits of being part of this company:
- live and work wherever you want, but still be part of a tightly-knit team that knows how to collaborate (HipChat, Sococo, Basecamp, and other tools, plus a nice new MacBook Pro and a budget for communication and connectivity tools)
- have MASSIVE learning: you will become an expert in AWS, DevOps, and Continuous Integration / Continuous Delivery: some of the best in the business will be your co-workers, and they have an insane focus on training and continual improvement
- switch engagements when the time is right: even a great project can get boring after awhile, and they want to keep you challenged and engaged
To make the cut and join this team you must have certain qualities:
- either be a Dev person who has begun moving to Ops, or vice-versa
- consider yourself a hardcore engineer who is full-stack aware
- deeply hands-on technical (daily commits to Git repos, etc.): real Engineers, not Architects
- skilled at rapidly picking up and using new tools and techniques
- super-clear, thoughtful, and accurate in verbal and written communications
You also need confidence, but not arrogance, so you can have respectful discussions / debates with other engineers without getting defensive. The culture is about making clients successful and constantly improving, so being self-aware of your strengths and your growth areas is essential.
There isn’t a rigid set of technical requirements, but the following are all beneficial:
- hands-on technical experience in development
- continuous integration, continuous delivery, and configuration management automation tools (Hudson, Jenkins, CruiseControl, Chef, Puppet, Salt, Ansible, etc.)
- programming in Python, Ruby, Java, C#, or similar
- command line experience with Linux and/or Windows
- AWS DevOps Automation (CloudTrail, CloudWatch, CloudFormation, OpsWorks, IAM, EC2, Route 53, S3, RDS, SES, VPC, etc.)
- certs: AWS Certified Solutions Architect, AWS Certified Developer, AWS Certified SysOps Administrator, AWS Certified DevOps Engineer
Our client’s headquarters are in the Virginia, but you can live and work wherever you wish. Salaries here are strong and are based on your expertise level - definitely a merit-based organization. Benefits include full health plans in all 50 states, unlimited PTO, 401K, access to everything in AWS for experimentation, relevant conferences, training allowances, self-study allowances, communications allowances, and more.